Central States Conference on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
1. The name of the Corporation shall be the Central States Conference on the Teaching of Foreign Languages, Incorporated (CSCTFL).
1. The Corporation shall have a seal with the name of the Corporation, the year, and the state of its incorporation inscribed thereon.
1. If the office of any Director, or of the Chair of the Board, Vice Chair, Program Chair of the Conference, Assistant Program Chair, Executive Director, Recording Secretary, ACTFL Delegate, or Conference Report Editor, becomes vacant, and such vacancy cannot be filled by succession as provided for in these Bylaws, the remaining Directors, by a majority vote, may choose a successor or successors, who shall hold office for the remainder of the term.
1. Any member of the Board of Directors may resign at any time. Such resignation must be made in writing and will take effect at the time of its receipt by the Board of Directors, unless some other time is designated in the resignation.
1. The Vice Chair shall be elected by the members of the Corporation and shall serve for a term of two years, beginning the first day of the new fiscal year following election. After this term, the Vice Chair shall automatically succeed to the office of Chair of the Board. The Vice Chair shall assist the Chair of the Board and assume any duties assigned by the Chair. In the event of the Chair’s resignation or death or when other circumstances prevent the Chair from discharging her/his responsibilities, the Vice Chair shall assume the office of Chair.
1. The Recording Secretary shall be appointed by the Board of Directors as a full voting member for a term of two fiscal years and shall thereafter be eligible for reappointment for terms of one or two years to a maximum of two additional years. The Recording Secretary shall keep a record of all proceedings of the Board of Directors and of the Advisory Council.
1. The Program Chair of the Conference shall be appointed by the Board of Directors and shall serve as a member of the Board of Directors effective the date of appointment until the conclusion of the fiscal year in which the conference is held. The Program Chair shall plan the forthcoming Conference with the advice of the Board of Directors. In the event of the Program Chair’s absence, the Program Chair’s duties shall be performed by the Assistant Program Chair.
1. The Local Liaison shall be appointed by the hosting state organization to serve as a coordinator on the local level for the Conference and shall not serve as a member of the Board of Directors.
1. The Conference Report Editor shall be appointed by the Chair of the Board for a term of one fiscal year, renewable by mutual consent for a subsequent year. The Editor shall arrange for the publication of the Conference Report as directed by the Board of Directors and shall report to the Board at the semi-annual meetings. The Editor may appoint two Associate Editors. The Report Editor is not a member of the Board.
1. The Corporation shall normally be represented on the Joint National Committee for Languages and the National Council for Languages and International Studies by the Executive Director or his/her designee.
1. The Corporation shall be represented on the Executive Council of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages by a Delegate to be appointed by the Board of Directors for a term of three calendar years. Candidates for the position of Delegate shall be members of ACTFL and shall have recent, appropriate experience on the Board of Directors of the Corporation. The Delegate shall be a full voting member of the Board of Directors during the years s/he represents the Corporation on the ACTFL Executive Council.
1. The Corporation shall send representatives to other organizations as invited and as determined appropriate by the Board. These organizations shall include but not be limited to the National Federation of Modern Language Teachers’ Associations (NFMLTA).
1. There shall be a Nominating Committee consisting of three members elected annually by the Board of Directors from among their number. They shall represent at least two languages.
1. The rules contained in the latest revised edition of Robert’s Rules of Order shall govern the Central States Conference on the Teaching of Foreign Languages, Inc. in all cases to which they are applicable, unless they are inconsistent with the Bylaws or the special rules of order of this Corporation.
1. Any person not a member of the Corporation, who is interested in the advancement of the teaching of foreign languages, may upon payment of the current registration fee as set by the Board of Directors, become a registrant for the current Conference. Each registrant may attend all meetings of the Conference with the exception of the meetings, regular or special, of the Board of Directors, and of the meetings, annual or special, of the members of the Corporation.
1. The fiscal year of the Corporation shall begin on July 1 and end on June 30 of the following year.
1. Any member of the board who has a financial, personal, or official interest in, conflict, or appearance of a conflict with any matter pending before the Board, of such nature that it prevents or may prevent that member from acting on the matter in an impartial manner, will offer to the Board to voluntarily excuse him/herself and will vacate his seat and refrain from discussion and voting on said item.